Wednesday, December 14, 2011

CuteChick Recipe #6- Jerk Shrimp White Cheddar Alfredo over Farfalle

Sooo... I spent all day yesterday trying to find a new alfredo recipe since I've been craving it so much lately (i'm the most craving having non pregnant girl you'll ever know!) but nothing jumped out at me at all. I decided to take matters into my own hands do some experimenting. I swear some of my best dishes come out of me just throwing stuff together! I was originally gonna make a shrimp scampi version of an alfredo sauce but I didn't have any lemons on hand. I then remembered I had just bought some jerk seasoning the other day and that's where the idea was born. This recipe is actually super easy & sooo good! Once recommendation I will make that I didn't actually do is to add about a teaspoon of flour to the butter before adding the cream. This will thicken the sauce up :-)
Here's the finished product


Ingredients
2 cups of heavy cream
1 cup of milk ( I used whole)
2 cups of grated parmesan (NOT the stuff in the can! lol)
1 cup of grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese
7 oz bag of medium shrimp ( any size will do, this would definitely taste good w/ chicken or scallops also)
1 15oz can of diced tomatoes (drained)
3 tblspns chopped green onion
about 2 tbspns of jerk seasoning (I used Ochos Rios brand, McCormicks would work great as well)
2 tblspns of minced garlic ( i use the squeezable kind)
5 tblspns unsalted butter
2 tspns of onion powder
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbspn of olive oil
1 16oz box of farfalle (bowtie pasta....penne, linguine or fettucine would work great also)


First things first, season the shrimp w/ the jerk seasoning in a bowl & set aside. Here's the one I used.


After this, go head & begin boiling your water for the pasta (cook according to package instructions)  and heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over med/high heat. Add the shrimp to the oil & cook for about 5 minutes. You do not want to thoroughly cook the shrimp at this point, this is just going to add a little color to them. Once you've cooked them for the 5 minutes put them in a bowl & set aside. Add your butter to the pan & melt. Once melted, add your garlic and saute for about 3-5 minutes. Season the garlic w/ the onion powder. Whisk in the heavy cream followed my the milk & bring to a light boil. You want to whisk the milk & cream about every minute or two. DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED! because it will boil over! Once it's reduced some (after about 10 minutes) stir in the cheese (reserve 1 cup of the parmesan) until melted. Here are the cheeses



 After the cheese has melted, season w/ salt & pepper and then stir in your tomatoes & shrimp. Reduce heat to medium and cover. After about 10-15 minutes your sauce is done! Thoroughly mix the sauce in w/ the pasta as well as the reserved cup of parmesan cheese. Top w/ the green onion & dinner is served! Now how easy was that? I hope you guys enjoy this one as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment